Plan for building a shed
In a number of posts on this site, we have looked at some unorthodox sheds where their owners have simply built them with whatever spare material they had left over in their yard. You can certainly build a shed that way. If you are the creative type who likes to innovate and make things up as you go along, then this will be the perfect choice for you. However generally I advise that you have a good plan for building a shed before you get started.
When you have a plan for building a shed you are far more likely to complete the job you set out to do. What’s more you will achieve it without over ordering on materials, or making any costly or time wasting mistakes along the way.
So what should you be looking for when you set about finding a plan for building a shed? Here is my list key things that you should look for when selecting your plans.
- They should be comprehensive – You should pick plans that need to cover all aspects of the shed project from building the slab right up to what you put on the roof to make it water tight.
- They should have full dimensions – You need to know if your plan is big enough for your purpose, and you need to know if it will fit into the space where you plan to build it.
- Full materials schedule – One of the key reasons people go over budget with a small building project such as a shed is that they either over purchase or under purchase materials. If your plans have a full schedule of materials that you need to complete the job (allowing for off-cuts and natural wastage) then you can purchase it all in once trip to the hardware store and not be left with a loads of un used materials at the end of the job.
- Step by step guide – If a job has been tested, then the plans will take you through the process in the correct order, so that every step leads naturally onto the next. There is nothing more frustrating that having to ‘un-assemble’ part of your shed because you have gone too far with one part too soon.
- A range of designs – to give you inspiration and ideas to create something more than just the standard basic shed.
If I have convinced you of the need to have good plans before you start building your shed then you next question will no doubt be, where can you find these plans?
Well, I guess much depends upon what sort of shed you are looking for. If you are just looking for a simple shed plan then I can let you have plans for a basic shed for free. I have a pack of woodworking resources that I am giving away for free, and it includes plans for a basic shed. Pop your email address in the box over on the right hand side of this page and I will send you an email straight away with a link to where you can download them.
Be sure to check your email box for instructions on how to download your free shed plans and woodworking resources.
If you are looking for something a bit more creative or looking for a range of options so that you can pick the best one for you then take a look at ‘my Shed Plans’. This product has full instructions for hundreds of different designs, and you are bound to find one that is right for you.
Whichever way you decide to proceed, basic or more elaborate, your project will be much easier with some decent plans
All in all when you have a good plan for building a shed the whole process is far more enjoyable, and more importantly you will begin loving your shed a lot sooner.
Filed under: Shed Building
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!